Having a weekly menu is helpful when you are planning your shopping list. Before heading to the store it is always a good idea to check your refrigerator for existing items. It is also helpful to avoid shopping on an empty stomach.
Here are a few shopping items that are helpful to plan your nutritional diet:
- Prenatal vitamins.
- Folic acid.
- Fortified, whole grain breakfast cereal.
- Whole grain bread and/or crackers.
- Fruits, fresh or canned (apples, peaches, melon, berries, oranges, grapes, tomatoes).
- Calcium-fortified juices.
- Dried fruits.
- Dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, lettuce, kale, turnip greens).
- Vegetables (potatoes, asparagus, broccoli, peas, green beans, cabbage).
- Low-fat or skim milk.
- Low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Hard cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella).
- Lean beef or chicken, turkey, fish, and/or eggs.
- Tofu (bean curd).
- Lentils, kidney, great northern, navy beans, pinto beans, split peas.
- Peanut butter or other nuts.
- Rice or pasta.