A Leader in Robotic Surgery
In 2012, the South Carolina Institute for Robotic Surgery performed more surgeries than any other health system or hospital in the state of South Carolina. The SC Institute for Robotic Surgery is equipped with three da Vinci® Surgical Systems, two at Trident Medical Center and one at Summerville Medical Center.
By integrating computer-enhanced technology with the surgeon’s skill, the da Vinci® Surgical System enables surgeons to perform precise, minimally invasive surgery in a manner never before experienced to enhance healing and promote well-being.
Our physicians and advanced surgical team are experienced to provide safe, efficient surgery, allowing you to resume normal activities faster. Using the da Vinci® Surgical System, the surgeon operates while seated at a console viewing a 3D image of the surgical field.
The da Vinci® Surgical System helps improve clinical outcomes and redefine standards of care. Patients may experience the following benefits:
- Less scarring
- Shorter hospital stay
- Reduced blood loss and need for transfusions
- Faster recovery and return to normal daily activities
- Reduced trauma to the body
- Less post-operative pain and discomfort
- Smaller risk of infection.
The South Carolina Institute of Robotic Surgery is the only provider in the area equipped with the state-of the-art da Vinci® Si HD Surgical System. This Advanced 3D HD visualization provides the surgeon with up to 10x magnification and an immersive view of the operative field.
How does robotic surgery work?
The surgeon’s fingers grasp the master controls below the display, with hands and wrists naturally positioned. The system seamlessly translates the surgeon’s hand, wrist and finger movements into precise, real-time movements of surgical instruments.
Many surgical procedures performed today using standard laparoscopic techniques may be performed quicker and easier using the da Vinci® Surgical System. The da Vinci® delivers increased clinical capability while maintaining the same “look and feel” of open surgery.
The South Carolina Institute of Robotic Surgery offers da Vinci® Robotic Surgery to patients for a wide range of procedures.
Robotic surgeons (left to right): Ward Katsanis, MD | Christine Case, MD | William Reeves, MD | Ronnie Givens, MD | Theodore Brisson, MD | James Martin, MD | James Benner, MD | Christine Hunter, MD | Marshall Wingo, MD | Christopher Accetta, MD (not pictured: Jennifer Heinemann, MD | Paula Orr, MD | Heather Schwartzberg, MD | Molly Senokozlieff, MD)
Leading the Lowcountry
- First in SC to perform a da Vinci® Sacrocolpopexy
- First in SC to perform a da Vinci® Radical Hysterectomy for cervical cancer
- First in SC to perform a da Vinci® Single Port Nephrectomy
- First in the Lowcountry to utilize the newest daVinci technology
- First and only hospital in the Lowcountry with two da Vinci® Systems
- First in Lowcountry to use Intuitive Firefly Technology
- First in Lowcountry to perform various da Vinci® Thoracic Procedures
- First and only hospital in Lowcountry to use da Vinci® Si HD Surgical System (most advanced technology)
- First in Charleston to perform Single-Site Hysterectomy