November 20, 2023
Summerville, SC – Today Summerville Medical Center welcomes Stephen Chandler as the hospital’s new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Chandler has more than 10 years of healthcare administration experience, including his most recent role as Chief Operating Officer (COO) at HCA Healthcare’s Henrico Doctors’ Hospital in Richmond, VA, and prior to that, 3 years of policy and legislative experience in Washington, DC.
“Summerville Medical Center has a proud past of providing extraordinary care to our community for the past 30 years. If you live in this community, this is your hospital. Whether it is celebrating new life or caring for those with life threatening illness or injury, we proudly care for each patient no matter the circumstance,” said Stephen Chandler, CEO of Summerville Medical Center. “I am humbled by the opportunity to lead this organization into the future. I am impressed with our dedicated and highly skilled medical staff and colleagues and look forward to supporting them as we expand services and programs.”
“We are excited to add Stephen to our team of caring and quality driven leaders,” said Hugh C. Tappan, President of HCA Healthcare’s South Atlantic Division. “I know he will instantly connect with his colleagues, our physicians and the Summerville community.”
Chandler joins Summerville Medical Center at a time of extensive growth and development. Over the past decade, the hospital has invested more than $250 million in expanding the hospital, opening new facilities, and elevating its services to meet the growing needs of the Lowcountry community, including:
- Significant investment in growing Summerville Medical Center’s campus, including:
- In November 2023 broke ground on a $66.8 million inpatient and critical care project that will increase the hospital’s licensed bed count by 40% to 174 licensed beds.
- In 2023 completed a $10.5 million surgical expansion for a total of 9 operating rooms and expanded Ambulatory Care and Post-Anesthesia Care units.
- In 2021 completed a $24 million emergency department expansion, including a dedicated pediatric emergency department.
- In 2019 completed a $61 million women’s, neonatal and surgical services expansion.
- Adding new access points around our community:
- In 2022 opened a third location for OB/GYN practice Summerville Women’s Care – Brighton Park near Nexton.
- In 2021 opened the Summerville Breast Center to provide comprehensive mammography and breast services.
- In 2020 opened Brighton Park Emergency, a freestanding emergency department near Nexton.
Chandler earned his Masters in Business Administration from Baylor University and his Bachelors in Political Science from Louisiana State University. He is joined by his wife, Hannah, and son, Archie, in moving to the Summerville area.