Pediatric specialists in the Greater Charleston area
When your child needs skilled medical care, you can trust that Trident Health System has a range of medical specialties and services geared toward your child's needs in convenient facilities. From simple bruises to complicated surgeries, our network is ready for your child's mishaps.
We offer the Greater Charleston area pediatric emergency, inpatient and intensive care services with attention to detail and quality. Between the advanced care provided at Summerville Medical Center's (SMC) dedicated pediatric unit and the pediatric-friendly services available at our other facilities, you can be sure your child's health needs will be the focus of attention at any Trident Health location.
To learn more about our services for your little one, call (843) 619-4004.
Why families choose us for pediatric care
At Trident Health System, we recognize that every child is unique. We also know no one knows a child better than their parents. That’s why we partner with parents to help make the best decisions for our young patients.
Families trust Trident Health System for their children’s healthcare because we offer a wide range of high-quality pediatric services to our Charleston community, including:
- 5 kid-friendly emergency rooms (ERs) conveniently located throughout the Charleston area
- A dedicated pediatric ER at Summerville Medical Center
- A dedicated pediatric inpatient unit at Summerville Medical Center
- A dedicated pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) at Summerville Medical Center
- Two CareNow urgent care centers that are prepared to treat children six months and older
- High-risk pregnancy care offered at Summerville Medical Center
- Neonatal intensive care provided at Summerville Medical Center’s Level II Special Care Nursery
- Board-certified and fellowship trained pediatric surgeons and specially trained clinicians to care for your children
Features of our pediatric department
From bright, cheerful colors and medical staff specially trained to care for children, our pediatric unit was designed with kids in mind.
- Family-centered care promotes optimal recovery and includes all-private rooms and an area for families to stay with the child 24/7
- Pediatric-specific weight-based medication preparation provided by pharmacy 24/7
- Pet therapy helps promote healing
- Kid-friendly menus
- Evidence-based practice used for pediatric pain diversion to promote comfort
- Initiation of pediatric-specific core measures to ensure quality of care
- Inpatient play area designed for children in the pediatric unit
Pediatric specialties we offer
SMC's pediatric unit has access to highly trained pediatric experts from multiple specialties. Whether your child visits our pediatric ER or needs a scheduled procedure, our pediatric team works with you and your pediatrician to design an effective care plan to keep him or her healthy.
No parent or caregiver wants to think about taking their child to the ER. However, it’s important to be prepared in case an emergency occurs. In addition to our dedicated pediatric ER at Summerville Medical Center, all of our emergency rooms are kid-friendly, offer short wait times and are prepared to treat children quickly and effectively. Our board-certified doctors have extensive experience treating a range of children’s emergencies including broken bones, stomach aches and high fevers.
The dedicated pediatric ER at Summerville Medical Center is just for kids and offers children and their families a variety of benefits and services, including:
- Direct access to a pediatric inpatient unit and critical care in our PICU, if advanced care is needed
- Emergency services provided by board-certified, emergency-trained pediatric specialists, skilled nurses and pediatric support team
- Laboratory testing and radiology (imaging) exams dedicated to pediatric patients
- Play therapy and unique amenities to make children feel comfortable
- State-of-the-art equipment and technology that is uniquely customized for children
Skilled, compassionate pediatric intensive care services
Meeting each child’s emergency needs is important to us. If hospitalization is necessary, we admit children to our pediatric care unit or pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) located at Summerville Medical Center. Our six-bed PICU serves newborns to 17 years old. Pediatric nurses trained in emergency care watch your child around-the-clock. Our doctors are board-certified pediatric intensive care physicians.
Every room in our inpatient unit is private, equipped with a bathroom and large enough for parents to stay with their child comfortably. To provide some fun and distraction, our PICU displays kid-friendly artwork, bright colors and lighting plus televisions and gaming systems to make a hospital stay more comfortable. The PICU also includes a communal play area where children can spend time with family members.
Neonatal intensive care
For newborns needing critical care immediately after birth, our Level II Special Care Nursery has specially trained physicians and nurses prepared to care for our youngest patients.
Our pediatric gastroenterologists focus on digestive health disorders. From basic acid reflux to more complex conditions, our specialists provide diagnosis and treatment that fit your child's condition.
Pediatric orthopedic care
An accident on the playground or an injury while playing sports causes concerns for parents. Our specialists in orthopedic care treat a wide array of children's conditions like concussions, spine injuries and broken bones while taking into account their growth and development.
Our pediatric surgeons have extensive training in meeting your child's needs. They can handle appendectomies, tonsillectomies and other more complicated procedures. Post-surgery, our experts coordinate rehab services as needed.
Diagnostic tests and procedures don't have to be frightening for children. Trident Health System's radiology team are trained to complete imaging testing on your child in a compassionate environment. For most exams, parents can stay in the room with their child if desired. This can decrease anxiety and comfort parents, and may make children more calm and cooperative. We offer a full range of diagnostic imaging services for newborns to young adults including CT scans, MRI, ultrasound, X-ray and more.
Other pediatric services
Other features of our pediatric care include 24/7 in-house respiratory therapy and medical imaging services plus services for pediatric physical, occupational and speech therapies.
Finding the best care for your child
We want to continue to partner with you on your child's ongoing healthcare. Our dedicated Pediatric Consult-A-Nurse® service is available 24/7, 365 days a year and can be a helpful starting point. Although our nurses do not diagnose conditions, they answer your questions and help you find a pediatric specialist. For assistance, please (843) 619-4004.
Retrieving location data...