Your heart's in good hands at the Trident Medical Center Heart Center. We're proud to be the only healthcare provider in the Charleston, South Carolina region to have earned the Society of Thoracic Surgeons' highest ranking for open heart surgery. The ranking places our program among the Top 15% of similar programs in the United States and Canada. Additionally, we are providing new hope for patients with valve disease and those who are at risk of stroke due to Atrial Fibrillation. Learn more about our expertise in Transcatheter Aortic Vavle Replacement (TAVR) and the WATCHMAN implantable device. Our cardiovascular and thoracic physician specialists and supporting team of clinicians know being named among the best of the best is good news for the patients they care for.
Awards and Certifications
- Highest Ranking for Open Heart Surgery by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Advanced Certification, Heart Failure
- Advanced Certification, Primary Stroke Center
- Accredited Chest Pain Center
- IAC Echocardiography Accreditation
- National Society of Thoracic Surgeons Designation
- Blue Distinction Centers® Designation for Cardiac Care+
- Becker’s Top 100 Heart Programs
American Heart Association, Get With the Guidelines
- Silver Plus-Heart Failure
- Gold Plus – Stroke
- Bronze Mission Lifeline (STEMI Patients)
Trident Medical Center uses a number of different diagnostic tests to provide your physician with a complete picture of your condition. Our staff of radiologists and cardiologists are specially trained in cardiac imaging so you can feel confident in your diagnosis. The 64-slice CT scanner – one of the most advanced cardiac diagnostic tools available today – creates a 3-D picture of the heart, giving a clear and immediate view of the entire heart: valves, heart muscle and blood vessels. Learn more about this advanced technology and scheduling tools.
Cardiac Surgery at Trident Medical Center
Trident Medical Center offers a complete range of cardiovascular surgeries including:
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG)
- Minimally invasive endoscopic vein harvesting
- Heart valve replacement
- Implantable cardiac defibrillators and pacemakers
- MAZE/Arrhythmia surgeries
- Minimally invasive aortic and mitral valve repair and replacement
- Repair of adult congenital heart lesions
We are proud to provide patients with state-of-the-art operating rooms and intensive care unit. The open heart and cardiology intensive care unit is equipped with the latest advancements needed for expert evaluation and monitoring of patients following surgery.
- The highly skilled nursing and support staff in this area also have been specifically trained to meet the demands of the more complicated surgery and follow-up care.
Following surgery, patients are transferred to the Critical Care Unit where the nursing and support staff are trained in cardiac care. Once patients have recovered in the Critical Care Unit, they move to the Telemetry Unit where nurses and technicians continually monitor the heart and further guide patient recovery.
Cardiac Rehabilitation & Healthy Lifestyle
Our commitment to comprehensive cardiac care extends beyond diagnosis and treatment. Cardiac rehabilitation is an important part of your care and essential for helping you regain any lost physical function. You and your family also encouraged to join the Mended Hearts Support Group, a volunteer program organized by heart patients and their families.
Know Your Risk for Heart Disease?
Take our health risk assessment to learn your risk for heart disease. The time you take now may help you enjoy meaningful time with your family and friends later.